Blog Entry 4: Reflection

            I have learned a lot of things in this class. However, there are three takeaways I took this semester. One, is that students need to feel accepted and safe in their environment. This goes for all students, but most importantly for ELLs. I was once an ELL student, that came all the way from the Philippines. I can only imagine back then, if I ended up in a classroom where the teacher did not set up a positive classroom environment for his/her students. Then I definitely would have not been able to enjoy my early school years, let alone transition well from the Philippines to the United States. Fortunately, that was not the case and I was able to be paired with teachers that not only cared about my academic successes but was also a true advocated for their students.
            With that, I also want to point out that my teachers never forced me to assimilate myself to the American culture or make me feel bad for not speaking English properly. They took the time to teach me at school, while my parents taught so at home. Although, I’m not fully bilingual I’m very thankful for the teachers I had when I was in ESL. They made me feel accepted, even though I came from a different country.
            The second important note I took out was learning how to differentiate instruction for ELLs. I know in the world of education, it is very important to differentiate instruction in your lesson plan. It is very crucial to do so in an ESL class. Therefore, in order to do so teachers must make an effort to get to know their students one-by-one. Teachers need to realize that learning is not one-size-fits-all. Everyone has different perspectives, cultures, and backgrounds, that makes each students’ learning unique from their peers.
            With that, my last important note is the advocacy for students but specifically ELLs. ELL students need all the support they can get from their schools. I loved how Wright notes that it is not only the teacher’s responsibility for the success of ELLs but also from the administrative staff, school staff, parents, and communities that should also carry that responsibility and be a pro-advocate for them. Everyone needs to work together as a team both the people in the school and outside from it.
            Hence, with everything I have learned this semester this will impact my professional practice for the better. I have gained such an insightful experience, and I now know ways to help my future ELL students. I feel more prepared to be able to take on an ESL classroom and know how to tackle difficult situations. Also, I am more aware of all the laws and politics regarding ESL education, which I believe is important to know so that one may understand any new changes that could affect ELL students and their families. Overall, this course has helped me expand my knowledge and gave me courage to work with ELL students.
            As for the topics that were brought about in class. I think there should be an equal share for each of them. I do not think one should be more of an importance than the other, because each and every one of those topics help ELLs in the long run. If anything, they are like building blocks or tiers to their success.

            In conclusion, this course has added a great impact to my teaching philosophy. It broadened my perspective in the world of education and helped me become more reflective of my practices as a teacher. Like I said before, this was such an insightful experience and I am very thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this course and class. I have learned so much from everyone and also from the people in my video blog. This is definitely something I will carry throughout my teaching career.

Comments

  1. Hello there Kohleen, your reflection was wonderful to read! I think it is great that you had such a wonderful experience with your transition to the United States. I did have one question for you. Wright (2015) mentions that “ELLs may experience a cultural and linguistic mismatch between the culture and language of their home and the school’s culture and language” (p. 19). I know you talked about how you were paired with great teachers that helped you a lot but did you ever feel out of place or “mismatched” with the other students or with the school as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read my reflection Ashlyn! I'm glad you liked it. As for your question, I did feel out of place my first few years coming into the U.S. Not knowing any English, really made me feel the odd one out. I was lucky, as I said earlier, that I was paired up with teachers that really tried taking me out of my comfort zone, and also having peers who were really nice to me get through my first years transitioning to the U.S. Overall, my experience as ELL was great one.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kohleen
    Thank you for sharing your reflection, it's great :) From reading your blogs, I found many similarities between us, and I also agree with you how important is learning to differentiate instruction for ELLs. Just like Wright mentioned, “Teacher also need to know their student’s cultural background and how culture influence learning at school” (Wright, 2015, pg. 17). As a future educator, we really need to know what is the best for our student and use the learning method is best for them.
    Reference
    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fei! Thank you for reading my reflection! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, differentiating instruction is very important, especially for classrooms who have ELLs. As an educator we need to take in consideration, that each of our students are unique and that they all learn differently. Differentiation gives students the support they need to succeed in their academics.

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you can look about at your positive experience as an ESL student and use that inspire you as a future educator of ESL students. You made several important points about how an educator can facilitate the learning of their ESL students that I share in my own personal teaching philosophy. ESL student come from a wide range of ethnic, cultural, linguistic, education, and social economic backgrounds ( Wright, 2015, p. 24). Therefore, I also believe that you need tailor the learning to the student and their unique needs; you can not use one set way to teach all your students. You are always going to meet ESL students with different needs and challenges that you may not have faced before and you will need to adjust your instruction and lessons to what each student specifically needs, the students should never have adjust to your instruction or teaching method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadia! Thank you for reading my reflection. In the world of education there isn't a one-size fits all. The students we will have aren't alike, they all come from different walks of life. Therefore, as educators we truly need to get to know our students in order for us to construct our lessons that's based on their unique abilities. It is important that these students to know that it is possible for them to succeed in a foreign environment, and that is through truly knowing them for who they are.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kholeen! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this class and English language learner education with us! It is wonderful to hear that your teachers cared about your academic and personal success, and made you feel welcome. I had a very similar experience as an English language learner from Vietnam myself. I never felt ostracized for being from a different country, having a different culture, or speaking a different language. However, something I wished my teachers did was provide more opportunities for me to talk about my culture and share it with my peers. I absolutely loved it when I had assignments where I had to talk about my traditions and culture. According to Wright (2010), when schools "do not recognize, value, and incorporate" their ELLs' culture and language, they become disadvantaged academically (p. 16). I believe that teachers who go out of their way to incorporate their ELLs' cultures and languages often create more meaningful learning experiences for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thanh! Thank you for taking the time to read my reflection! I'm glad that you had a good experience during your ELL years. I too, agree with you about being able to talk and share cultures to our peers. Because just like you, I did get excited as well when my teacher would talk about the Philippines! I loved being able to hear something that is familiar being brought to the unfamiliar, and also having my peers come up to me and ask me about my culture when we have learned about it since they knew I was Filipino. I'm hoping that when I have a classroom with ELLs that I'll remember to do this!

      Delete
    2. Hey, Kohleen! I am glad to hear that you were just as excited as me when you were able to talk about your culture and traditions in school. I also want a classroom in which my students share their cultural and linguistic identities with their peers. As a student teacher in a fifth-grade classroom, I have not observed that many opportunities in which students have been able to do this. I believe that it is important that we allow our students to be able to share their culture, especially since I see how easily ethnic culture can fade with the current generation.

      Delete

Post a Comment