Hello my name is Kohleen Mendoza. I am currently majoring in EC-6th grade Generalist. I am excited to learn a lot of new things in this class! I will be graduating by the end of this year, and I am hoping to teach 2nd grade and up. I have always had a passion for teaching kids and I'm looking forward to having my own classroom soon!
Hey Kohleen Thank you for sharing your story with us, I really enjoyed. I came to America when I was 10 so I have to learn English as my second language and I also got bulled in elementary when I was little. We both kind have the similar histories regarding language learning experiences. I think is really awesome that you can also speak Spanish, this can impact a lot of ELL students. “Multicultural education can help prepare all student to live in out multicultural society” (Wright,2015,p.21) I’m looking forward to knowing you more in this class. And Good Luck
Thanks for watching and commenting on my first blog entry! I can't believe we share some similarity in our lives. It's actually really comforting to know that someone could actually somewhat relate to my life, since most of the friends I have were born here in the U.S. And thank you! I'm really hoping that I could use my experiences to help inspire and encourage my future ELL students. I do agree with the quote you picked about multicultural education. It does create more open minded society, that helps create an understanding and respect of other peoples' ethnicities.
I too am a looking forward in getting to know you and everyone else. Hope all is well!
Hello Kohleen! I enjoyed watching your video! Moving to a new place where everyone speaks a different language can be extremely terrifying. It’s awesome that you had such a supportive family and teacher. It sounds like you had some great Spanish teachers. Hands-on activities and consistent practice definitely makes a huge difference. In addition, like you mentioned, trust and building relationships contributes to a healthy learning experience. When working with ELL’s teachers should be conscious of the student’s cultural background in order to fully help them. Wright wrote, "Knowing the student's home language or language allows the teacher to provide primary language support" (Pg. 17). Again, I enjoyed watching your video and getting to know more about you. Thank you for sharing!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Yes I was very blessed to have such supportive parents and teachers. I never had "that" bad of an experience when it came to elementary school years, except for the bullying part lol but overall, my peers and teachers treated me well.
I do believe that we need strong and healthy relationships with our students. My mentor teacher has told me that the one of the most important things a teacher must do, is to really get to know their students aside from their academics. And as you said, it does create trust and respect between teacher and student. I only hope that all of us future teachers really try to understand and get to know our students well, in order to help them achieve in school and at home.
Hello Koko! I really loved your video! I can totally relate to a lot of the experiences you mentioned in your video. My family also moved from a different country to the U.S. when I was very young. According to Wright(2015), We would both be considered as heritage language speakers, "Students from homes where a language other than English is spoken and who speak or at least understand some of the language maybe be labeled as heritage language speakers"(p.5). I found interesting that you can understand your native language but can no longer speak it. One of my cousins only knew Spanish at first but now he only speaks English but can still understand us when we speak to him in English. Wright(2015) states that "ELLs...are disadvantaged when schools do not recognize, value, and incorporate these differences"(p.19). I think you made a great point of including that in your school philosophy when you spoke about indulging in the culture of others. I think different cultures should always be celebrated in the classrooms! Thanks for sharing! -Ana Gonzalez
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
I'm glad that you're able to relate to my videos! As you stated, we are both categorized as heritage language speakers, and to be honest I never knew a category like that existed till now. I always thought I was weird for not being able to speak in my native language but understand it. Like I knew there were other kids like me, but I only knew a few, so I always felt like an oddball being the person who was "sort of" bilingual. And YES! I agree many cultures should be celebrated in classrooms. It would be such a dynamic class! So as future teachers that is definitely something worth doing.
Hey Koko! It's so cool that you actually born in the Philippines! The Pacific islands are such a beautiful place. Though I have only visited Okinawa, Japan, where my partner was born and raised. Many have told me that the islands in the Pacific all share a unique beauty. I imagine that your experiences, having been an ELL yourself will offer you incredible insight into the lives of your kids. I think that you will especially be able to sympathize with students who might be experiencing the shock of a new culture. As Wright states, "Helping ELL's succeed academically requires helping them adjust to the culture of the classroom and the school..." (2015, p.19). Thanks for sharing your story!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
That is awesome that you've visited Japan, and know someone personally that's from there! And yes, many of the islands in the Pacific are beautiful! Whenever you and your significant other has a chance, you should totally take a trip to the Philippines.
With that being said, I am very glad that I was able to undergo through ESL classes and be an ELL student. And like you said, I too believe that it would give me a good insight of how and what these students are undergoing.
Hey Kohleen
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story with us, I really enjoyed. I came to America when I was 10 so I have to learn English as my second language and I also got bulled in elementary when I was little. We both kind have the similar histories regarding language learning experiences. I think is really awesome that you can also speak Spanish, this can impact a lot of ELL students. “Multicultural education can help prepare all student to live in out multicultural society” (Wright,2015,p.21) I’m looking forward to knowing you more in this class. And Good Luck
Lori Zhao
Hi Lori!
ReplyDeleteThanks for watching and commenting on my first blog entry! I can't believe we share some similarity in our lives. It's actually really comforting to know that someone could actually somewhat relate to my life, since most of the friends I have were born here in the U.S. And thank you! I'm really hoping that I could use my experiences to help inspire and encourage my future ELL students. I do agree with the quote you picked about multicultural education. It does create more open minded society, that helps create an understanding and respect of other peoples' ethnicities.
I too am a looking forward in getting to know you and everyone else. Hope all is well!
Hello Kohleen!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed watching your video! Moving to a new place where everyone speaks a different language can be extremely terrifying. It’s awesome that you had such a supportive family and teacher. It sounds like you had some great Spanish teachers. Hands-on activities and consistent practice definitely makes a huge difference. In addition, like you mentioned, trust and building relationships contributes to a healthy learning experience. When working with ELL’s teachers should be conscious of the student’s cultural background in order to fully help them. Wright wrote, "Knowing the student's home language or language allows the teacher to provide primary language support" (Pg. 17). Again, I enjoyed watching your video and getting to know more about you. Thank you for sharing!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Hi Melissa!
DeleteYes I was very blessed to have such supportive parents and teachers. I never had "that" bad of an experience when it came to elementary school years, except for the bullying part lol but overall, my peers and teachers treated me well.
I do believe that we need strong and healthy relationships with our students. My mentor teacher has told me that the one of the most important things a teacher must do, is to really get to know their students aside from their academics. And as you said, it does create trust and respect between teacher and student. I only hope that all of us future teachers really try to understand and get to know our students well, in order to help them achieve in school and at home.
Thanks for watching my video!
Hello Koko!
ReplyDeleteI really loved your video! I can totally relate to a lot of the experiences you mentioned in your video. My family also moved from a different country to the U.S. when I was very young. According to Wright(2015), We would both be considered as heritage language speakers, "Students from homes where a language other than English is spoken and who speak or at least understand some of the language maybe be labeled as heritage language speakers"(p.5). I found interesting that you can understand your native language but can no longer speak it. One of my cousins only knew Spanish at first but now he only speaks English but can still understand us when we speak to him in English.
Wright(2015) states that "ELLs...are disadvantaged when schools do not recognize, value, and incorporate these differences"(p.19). I think you made a great point of including that in your school philosophy when you spoke about indulging in the culture of others. I think different cultures should always be celebrated in the classrooms!
Thanks for sharing!
-Ana Gonzalez
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hey Ana!
DeleteThanks for watching my video!
I'm glad that you're able to relate to my videos! As you stated, we are both categorized as heritage language speakers, and to be honest I never knew a category like that existed till now. I always thought I was weird for not being able to speak in my native language but understand it. Like I knew there were other kids like me, but I only knew a few, so I always felt like an oddball being the person who was "sort of" bilingual. And YES! I agree many cultures should be celebrated in classrooms. It would be such a dynamic class! So as future teachers that is definitely something worth doing.
Hey Koko! It's so cool that you actually born in the Philippines! The Pacific islands are such a beautiful place. Though I have only visited Okinawa, Japan, where my partner was born and raised. Many have told me that the islands in the Pacific all share a unique beauty. I imagine that your experiences, having been an ELL yourself will offer you incredible insight into the lives of your kids. I think that you will especially be able to sympathize with students who might be experiencing the shock of a new culture. As Wright states, "Helping ELL's succeed academically requires helping them adjust to the culture of the classroom and the school..." (2015, p.19). Thanks for sharing your story!
ReplyDeleteWright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Ryan!
DeleteThat is awesome that you've visited Japan, and know someone personally that's from there! And yes, many of the islands in the Pacific are beautiful! Whenever you and your significant other has a chance, you should totally take a trip to the Philippines.
With that being said, I am very glad that I was able to undergo through ESL classes and be an ELL student. And like you said, I too believe that it would give me a good insight of how and what these students are undergoing.
Thanks for watching!
Great entry.
ReplyDelete